THE NIGERIA UNION OF JOURNALISTS (NUJ), EDO STATE COUNCIL LED BY COMRADE FESTUS ALENKHE MID-TERM SCORE CARD (December 17, 2021- JULY 2023)
OUR REPORT CARD
1. Provision of 24 hours internet facility.
2. Installation of CCTV for security surveillance
3. 24 hours power supply to the Press Centre, courtesy of Ossiomo power project by Edo State government
4. Renovation of toilet facilities
5. Reactivation of water supply to the Press Centre
6. Activation of the process to recovery of NUJ landed property
7. Involvement of Edo Journalists into SACA media team
8. Setting up of NUJ Multi-purpose Cooperative Society
9. Enrollment of Journalists into Edo State Health Insurance scheme
10. Relocation and construction of prayer point for Muslim journalists
11. Training of 30 Journalists on Basic First Aid Response
12. Financial empowerment for journalists through credit facilities
13. Elimination of illegal occupants at the Press Centre
14. Initiation of annual Edo Journalists Classic Dinner
15. Instituted the annual Edo Journalists Picnic
16. Erection of two pillars at the foyer of the NUJ Secretariat complex to support the building from collapse.
17. Total facelift of NUJ Secretariat complex, including the painting which has now become an annual exercise
18. Facilitated processing and renewal of International Passport for journalists in Edo State in preparation for foreign tour
19. Facilitated the issuance of Visas for journalists to travel for international training in the UK
(The journalist Nigeria in August)
20. Facilitated GT Plaza outlet in the Press Centre
21. Facilitated appointment of journalists into various government committees
22. 24 hours patrol of the NUJ Press Centre by armed security men.
23. A 3- day Medical Outreach for Journalists
24. Installed floodlights in strategic locations to light up the Press Centre
25. Flooring of the space at the back of NUJ Secretariat Complex
26. Marking of the car park lot to ensure orderliness in the parking of vehicles
27. Hold periodic prayer sessions to intercede for journalists
28. Free Health Care for journalists
29. Facilitated INEC officials for journalists to register for PVC at the Press Centre
30. Setting up of NUJ Band
31. Hosting of NUJ NEC meeting/Tax Conference
32. Regular washing of the Press Centre floor
33. Purchase of heavy duty battery for the NUJ power generator which is now functional
34. Enhancement of the commercial viability of the Press Centre for businesses to thrive
35. Production of Edo Journalists Compendium
36. Setting up of Edo NUJ Food Supermarket
37. Relocation and construction of waste disposal point at the Press Centre
38. Perimetre fencing of the moat end of the NUJ Press Centre.
39. Evacuation of abandoned vehicles in the Press Centre
40. Institution of two different awards for best Investigative journalists in Edo State.
41. Successfully hosted Edo State Governor, Mr Godwin Obaseki
42. Partnered with banks to give credit facilities to journalists
43. Partnered with NNPC for journalists to buy fuel at government approved pump price during scarcity.